Mars, the fourth planet in the solar system is a masculine planet which radiates an intense and fiery energy. It rules the color red, the metal element, vegetation, and the basic energy of life. Mars is the commander-in-chief of the assembly of the nine planets. It is also personified as the god of war. It is regarded as a malefic planet in astrology and gives its natives the ability to put their own desires above those of others. It’s colour is red and the ruler of the direction – south.
The position of Mars in one’s horoscope determines relations among brothers, courage and strength, vitality and sexual drive.
When Mars is powerfully placed, a person becomes highly energetic and devotes his or her energy to constructive endeavors and worthy causes.
When afflicted, Mars causes a person to behave erratically and waste energy on worthless pursuits. A severely debilitated Mars often indicates a violent temper and destructive tendencies.
CORAL the Gem for MARS
Red Coral is used to enhance the powers of the planet Mars. Vidruma or coral is an organic gem that comes from reefs and atolls. It is not a mineral and is found in the shape of vine branches at about 600-700 feet deep in the sea. Scientists regard it as a component of calcium carbonate. In sanskrit, it is called ‘angarakmani’. It is found in Algeria, Tunisia, Spain, Italy, France, Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily and India.
Coral in Mythology
The origin of coral is explained in Greek mythology by the story of Perseus. Having petrified Cetus, the sea monster threatening Andromeda, Perseus placed Medusa’s head on the riverbank while he washed his hands. When he recovered her head, he saw that her blood had turned the seaweed (in some variants the reeds) into red coral. Thus, the Greek word for coral is ‘Gorgeia’, as Medusa was one of the three Gorgons.
Poseidon resided in a palace made of coral and gems, and Hephaestus first crafted his work from coral.
The Romans believed coral could protect children from harm, as well as cure wounds made by snakes and scorpions and diagnose diseases by changing colour. Pliny has recorded the trade of coral between Mediterranea and India in the first century A.D.
Coral in Astrology
Since ancient times, Coral gemstone has been given recognition by all astrologers. Coral gemstones should be worn by soldiers, policemen, electricians, surgeons, players and the workers of ordinance factory. It is useful for enhancing self-confidence, administrative capability and the power of utilizing the rights in social & political spheres . It is beneficial in deals involving buying and selling of land and properties. Coral gemstones is said to prevent abortion, fever, piles, impotency, typhus, smallpox etc. Children can be saved from diseases like rickets and stomach ache, by wearing coral mala or beads around their necks. The use of coral oxide with honey makes one strong and with betel leaf, the coral paste cures the man from cough and the heart disease.
Effects of weak Mars/Kuja/Mangal in your personal life
* Lack of energy will disable your motivation.
* Continuous obstacles in work and inability to perform well will make it difficult for you to stand up for yourself.
* You may be over cautious and easily troubled by dominating people.
* You will be inexpressive and closed about your real feelings.
* You may be overly passive, easily controlled, and may be abused even physically.
Effects of weak Mars/Mangal/Kuja on your body
* Your immune system will be weak due to low appetite, poor food absorption. You will be low in weight with weak muscles, weak liver and small intestines. Hemorrhoids may be your major problem.
* You will be prone to frequent injuries, and healing would take a longer time.
* Men may lack sexual vitality.
Recognising a Coral
A good quality coral should be roundish in shape, smooth, shiny, bright reddish in color and feel heavier than it looks.
A pure coral when immersed in blood, causes dark and thick blood to gather around it.
When a pure coral is immersed in cows milk, one shall see a red coloured shadow like substance in the milk.
A true coral changes color according to the physical well-being of the wearer. It fades before the disorder in physical health is noticeable and resumes its original color when physical health is restored.
Wearing a Coral
Coral should ideally be worn early morning on a Tuesday under the Hora of Mars, that falls in the shukal pakshya in the Mrigshira, Chitra or dhanishtha nakshatras.
It should be put in a gold or copper ring.
It should be ritually energised by the jaap of bhaum beej mantra, Om kraan kriin kraun sa: bhomaya nameh.
It should be worn on the Ring finger.
Before wearing the coral ring for the first time, immerse it in raw cow’s milk and wash it in the Ganga water.
The gem should be of 6,7,10 or 12 rattis.
The wearer should donate lentil, gur and money after tying in a red cloth to a Brahmin or priest. Gur should be fed to a red ox.
Benefits of wearing a Coral
A high quality coral helps in getting land, love between brothers and father-son and a healthy life.
It prevents blood related ailments, heart diseases, evil spirits, weakness of body, stomach ailments, abortion, fever, piles, impotency, smallpox etc.
The use of coral oxide with honey makes one strong and with betel leaf, the coral paste cures the man from cough and the heart disease.
Who Should Wear Coral
Coral must be worn by those whose Zodiac moon sign or rashi is Scorpio (vrishchak) or the mar’s position in the horoscope is weak. It is usually beneficial for the following zodiac moon signs Aries, Cancer, Leo, Libra, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces.
Tests for Identification of Real Coral
• If real coral is placed in glass of cow’s milk, the color of the milk will appear pink or take on a red tinge. Imitation coral will not affect the whiteness of milk.
• If a coral is dropped in blood, blood will thicken around it.
• A true coral changes color according to the physical well-being of the wearer. It fades before the disorder in physical health is noticeable and resumes its original color when physical health is restored.
Mohs Scale Hardness: 4 (on a scale of 1 to 10)
Other Names: Moonga (Indian Name), Arciscuro, Rosso Scuro, Rosso, Munga, Bhauma-ratna, Gem of Mars, Vidruma, Abdhijantu, Being of the ocean.
Birthstone: Hindu Birthstone for October
Sun Sign (Star Sign): Taurus / Scorpio
Give life to your Gemstone
* Wash your gem with rose water.
* Keep it immersed in milk for one hour during the first hour from sunrise starting from one Tuesday to the next Tuesday and place it again in rose water. Replicate this procedure for a week.
* On the chosen day invoke blessings of Lord Vinayaka(Ganesh) and recite 108 names of him.
* At the chosen time recite the following mantra that are associated with planet Kuja or Mars.
* Red coral also happens to be the gemstone studded on Lord Kuja’s (Mars) crown.
* Imagine the planet in its form during reciting.
* One of the following mantra has to be recited 108 times.
OM MANGALAYA VIDMAHE. BHOOSUTHAYA DHEEMAHE THANNO SASISEKHARA PRACHODAYAT.
OM KRAAM KREEM KROUM SAHA BHOUMAYA NAMAHA.
This mantra should be recited every Tuesday during the first hour from Sunrise for 9 Tuesdays continuously . The main ruling deity for red coral is Bhoomi or Earth Goddess and the main deity is Lord Skanda, the commander in chief of the army of Devas. The Mars God who rules red coral has a goat as his vehicle. The main grain pertaining to Lord Kuja is RED DHALS hence include them in all your poojas pertaining to red coral.